Monday, May 7, 2012

Influence

What does it mean to influence someone? I picked up TIME's "The 100 Most Influential People in the World" issue last week as I was curious to see this list. I was shocked by how few names I recognized or knew anything about, but maybe that says more about me. (If you still can, I suggest you pick it up and flip through this list.) It's funny to have a list that includes Barack Obama and Rhianna; or Warren Buffet and Jeremy Lin. John Maxwell always says that "leadership is influence", but what is influence? What qualities does a person have that we allow them to influence- or do we even allow them, or does it just happen? Some people on that list have impacted me indirectly because of their product or invention, but no one on that lists influences me in a personal way. But it does have me thinking about what "truly" influences me. As a Christian the default answer people jump to is "God" or maybe the bible. But really? Is that reality- or is there something else. Image? Friends? Media? Guilt? Results? What influences you? Have you thought about it, or have you just coasted letting the loudest voice speak into your life? Not everything should influence us, we should be very selective in what we allow, or invite in, to influence us. Make a list of 5 or 6 things or people that influence you. Any changes need to be made? What should the list include going forward? Who should be on there? Who should come off? Who or what are you going to let speak into your life? "Before microphones and television were invented, a leader had to stand in front of a crowd and bellow. Now she can tweet a phrase that reaches millions ni a flash. Influence was never easier- or more ephemeral." (Richard Stengal, managing ed. TIME)

No comments:

Post a Comment