Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Don't Quit so Easily!

"To be a good leader you have to be a romantic. Because then you not only want to make a difference, you imagine that you can." Richard North Patterson

I am a classic optimist trapped in the body of a realist. This is not always fun. It can create some real "highs" and "lows". I have a very strong critical eye (some close to me might say too strong...haha) but I can't always help it or turn it off. But then in the midst of this I am an extreme optimist. Not the day dreaming type who stares off in space and imagines "what if..." but like Patterson said, I imagine I can truly make a difference. So much so, that I can look at a situation, see the very real flaws, assess what it will cost to change- and then plow forward to see that change become a reality- because I truly believe that it will change- the thought that it "cannot" change is extremely difficult for me to swallow. I honestly believe this is a God given gift.

The point: I believe there are people out there who have a vision/dream of what they want to accomplish, it may be buried down deep or almost forgotten about, but if you dig around it's there. Almost everyone has a picture in their mind of a "preferred future" that they often think about, but rarely pursue after for a variety of reasons. My least favorite reason is "I already tried once" or it's cousin "it's already been tried". As Andy Stanley says that we often mistake our failure as the result of a bad vision, but often it was just a bad plan- nothing wrong with the vision.

What is it that you wish you could accomplish? What is it that you think "can't" change? Your marriage? Your church? Your relationship with Christ? Your relationship with a co-worker?

Maybe you gave up too easily! Maybe you need a little bit of that romantic spirit in your that stirs the emotion to believe that it really can change.

I do not believe the the power of positive thinking!

I believe if God is burdening something on your heart (that honors Him and is true to scripture- gotta qualify!!) that He also has the power to see it through. This does not have to do with your own ability, but your dependance on the Holy Spirit's power!

One of my favorite Pauline benedictions is "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen" (Eph. 3:20-21)

My favorite part is that God "...is able to do immeasureably more than all we ask or imagine..." When I dream big for my church- God dreams bigger! When I desire a great marriage- God desires a greater one! When I think I have big dreams- God's are bigger! And it is clear, He is able to do it!

I think we have enough realists, who are all to quick to point out the flaws, what we need are some more optimists, some more romantics, people who will make a true difference. Maybe it's time to start dreaming again and (for all the baseball fans) swing for the fence!

No comments:

Post a Comment