Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Am I Dead or Alive?

Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

We usually only quote half of that verse- the first half.  It's a great verse, it's memorable, it's portable. (And maybe it's just me) But it also may be one of the hardest verses for me to live out.  I think it was L.E. Maxwell who said, "self dies hard".  And I agree.

As a kid I "asked Jesus into my heart" many times.  As an adult I have asked that my "self" be crucified many more times.  Sometimes it feels like real momentum is picking up, growth, maturity...holiness.  And then self rears it's ugly head!

Where did you come from?

I thought you were crucified? 

How did you crawl out of the crave and get control again?

I wish it was just me, but I doubt it.

I desire to live a holy life, I desire for self to stay crucified, but the battle is real.  Maybe that's the point, to actually wage war against the flesh and sin.  Maybe I need I don't wage war enough, maybe I play games more often then not.  Maybe I won't let self be crucified to actual death...I like self...I'm used to self.  It's easy, convenient, and natural.

Just when I think I won't "win" I'm reminded of what Jesus said, "If anyone would come afer me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

DAILY...DENY...TAKE UP...AND FOLLOW.

The sanctifying work of God is a process.  It's intentional.  It's a choice.  It's going to hurt.  It's not going to be easy.

But I so desire it! 

Do you?  I pray that if you're reading this God does a deep work in your heart, I pray that you will pick up the cross daily, and I pray that you will die to self and live to Christ Jesus....for God's glory....and your joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment